Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Celtic Crossroads: Awkward Encounter/Awesome Night

Despite our incredibly awkward  picture-taking experience with Celtic Crossroads after the show, I still had a fabulous time. I think something that particularly surprised me was that we were actually nervous to take a picture with the band afterwards...because they were awesome. They were young and hip and immensely talented. They were also very, very proud of their culture. One of the things we discussed in class on Wednesday was how they were almost apologetic for the one band members who were from Chicago and Denmark. But at the same time, I felt that had these members not fully embraced the Irish culture and learned everything possible about the instruments they played, and had both deep passion and deep respect for traditional Irish music, they would have never been in the band. You could tell by watching these guys that passion was a must. They were young and energetic but they were committed to these instruments and what it meant to the culture. 

I think something else that surprised me was how deeply moved I was by the music. I’m not Irish and have no explicit connection to the music in any way shape or form, and yet I could feel the power behind the instruments. The harp solo especially—I closed my eyes during it and could picture images of Ireland, images of a land that wasn’t mine, but, as possessed through their powerful music, was most definitely theirs.

I also thought it was amazing how versatile they all were. They all played at least two different instruments, a couple of them did some outrageously amazing dance moves, and it seemed as though there was nothing the lead singer couldn’t do. They also seemed to understand that their audience may not have the same connection as they do with the music, but they were more than willing to help us make some kind of connection with it and enjoy it both for its beautiful sound and its deeper meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment