Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Friday, April 2, 2010

Stealing My Own Thunder

Not that anyone's going to read this by the time I give my presentation in a few hours...but I'm kind of giving away part of my presentation...Bah! Oh well...

U2 has, in a way, always had the idea that they do not want to sound quite like anyone else. That's why they've reinvented themselves about a dozen times in thirty years. More on this in a bit...;)

Seriously, though, U2's real roots are themselves. Their inspiration is whatever they want it to be. It's not predetermined. U2 is very particular about what music they put out--they have hundreds of songs basically stuck in the archives that leak out here and there that are really good but that they don't want to release because they are not about fulfilling a set profile on each album--they are about forging into new territory.

Traditional Irish bands are rooted strongly in being Irish. It's what they fall back on. In one sense it's just as wonderful as U2's desire to always be changing, this being strongly rooted in tradition. It's hard to find something as rich as a tradition like that on your own. It's resting on the shoulders of a giant--whatever way you want to take that.

I feel like I more or less said what Natalie said...but that's basically what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment