Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Night My Social Interaction Skills Were Shattered

Like others have mentioned, our night at the Ark was a wonderful experience. I, along with most other people, have been exposed to Irish music before, be it on Pandora radio, St. Patrick's Day inspired car commercials, or my friend's dance recitals. Hearing it live, however, proved to be completely different, and soaking up the musicians' energy was an exhilarating feeling.

That said, the musicians themselves were probably the most surprising part of the night. As I said in class, I didn't expect them to be Irish. I know, the idea of a traditional Irish band made up of Americans seems ludicrous now, but it made sense at the time. It was probably some of the themes we've talked about in class that made me feel this way, like not fully relating to a culture because one grows up with it or Ireland's insecurities. To me, it made more sense for a group of rugged, elderly American men to be playing the music, nostalgic for the "good old days" in a country they've most likely never been to. The fact that young, energetic Irish musicians are genuinely excited to play their country's music was shocking but almost refreshing; it's rare, after all, to find young Americans playing traditional music with so much enthusiasm. I mean, these musicians travel the world playing their music, songs they've probably grown up with. I, on the other hand, have come to loathe certain songs I felt were forced upon me as a kid. If anything, the concert made me feel less touristy and romantic for being interested in traditional Irish music and culture. If it's still relevant to the youth of the country, it must not just be a tourist trap.

It's late and I'm rambling, so I won't get into one of the most embarrassing moments of my life that took place after the music. I won't mention making extended akward eye contact with the cool Chicago piper or blushing obviously while being introduced to the cool Irish musicians. No, I'm not going to swallow my pride that much tonight. For the record, though, I still feel socially awkward.

1 comment:

  1. Well put. I also felt better knowing that traditional Irish music is not completely a tourist trap. Even though the musicians clearly played for an audience unfamiliar with Irish culture, they still managed to get the point across that traditional music was still alive and part of their culture. That is quite unfortunate that you had such an awkward interaction with them though. I'm sure something like this won't happen in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete