Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Irish Music at the Ark

What I remember most about the performance, and it seems most people in the class agree, was how young the performers were. Before the show, I was looking around at the audience, and almost everyone was over the age of 50. That told me that 1) This was going to be a boring show and 2) I probably wouldn't like it. Thankfully, neither of those things turned out to be true.

My past history with "real" Irish music doesn't go very far beyond PBS specials that my parents and grandparents made me watch, and all of these shows emphasized on the historical side, and how Irish music was. What I really loved about this performance is the large emphasis that the group placed on how Irish music is.

Sure, there were old songs, and historical background to accompany them, but there were also a lot of innovations, crossovers, etc. and I really think that the group's desire to perform this music authentically and well shone through, making for a great performance and a great reflection of what Irish music is.

No comments:

Post a Comment