Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Law Quad

Law Quad
Although I haven’t started writing it yet, I’ve come up with a number of topics that I want to cover in my paper. One topic is the types of people who study in the law quad and their behaviors when they’re in the library. It will be difficult to take a completely subjective view of the people in the law library because we have such preconceived notions about them (for example, if you sneeze or even drop your pencil everyone gives you the stink eye). Next I’m going to compare the architecture of the law quad to the adjacent architecture of the Ross school of business and describe what feelings I get from the two. Do I feel more comfortable in the gothic setting of the law quad or the post-modern setting of Ross? I will also describe the general feelings that I have as I explore the quad and the library.

My main problem is what style I should put this “guidebook” in. Should it be in first-person form of Synge’s “Aran Islands” or should I develop my own style to fit my specific descriptive needs? Should I interview employees of the library to get a real insider’s view of the library, or should I simply stick to my feelings about it? I feel like if I don’t incorporate an insider’s view of the law quad then I won’t be able to convey my “displacement” to my readers. Maybe I should just describe the ways of the “natives” by simply observing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment