Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Michigan Football

 To be 100% honest, Michigan Football is why I decided to come to this school. Academics...yeah, I guess that's important too. But I live and die sports, and I wanted to experience it at a University level. One of the biggest points of interest for me is how I kind of feel like an outsider at these games, even as a student here, which makes it slightly easier for me to observe as Synge did. The reason I feel a little on the outside of the tradition of Michigan football is because I'm not actually from Michigan, and in order to fully understand the importance and impact these Michigan football games have on people, I think you have to be from the state or from the midwest. I'm from the East Coast, and yes, we're passionate about our sports, but in a very different way. In the Midwest, college sports are the ultimate, whereas in the East, it's professional sports, and the fan-bases, especially in New York, can be ruthless at times. A Michigan football game is completely different, and it's very interesting to explore that contrast. There's this sense of unity. You see the student section, with kids who go (even though many have no idea what's going on), because it's the main event of the weekend. But once you move on from the student section, you see the real reason why the football games are so meaningful--the loyal Michigan alums who have gone to every Michigan game since they went there. The babies wearing Michigan gear. The eight year olds and eighty year olds singing 'The Victors 'at the top of their lungs in perfect unison.

 I'm hoping to explore the atmosphere of the entire stadium,  because if I just focused on the student section, it would be incredibly difficult not to make it satirical. Any thoughts/further ideas are welcome as to how I can communicate to others the sense of community that exists at  a football game without sounding too corny/cliche as an attempt to avoid satirizing certain aspects of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment