Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Friday, February 5, 2010

Mojo

I must confess, that, as I've been pretty busy lately, basically all of the writing I've done so far has been, a la Ignacio in Nacho Libre, IN MY MIND. But that's usually how I write these things anyway.

What I've found interesting is that it's almost as if my subconscious (and my really busy schedule) have led me to be eating by myself in the last week more than I ever have before--I am definitely getting a taste of what it's like as an outsider at Mojo. Mojo is kind of like a big city--the more people there are, the more you feel alone. It also always feels as if everyone else has a homing device on where the people they know are and everyone ends up finding someone else even if they didn't come with anyone.

Since I chose Mojo as my topic, I've even been discovering things about it I didn't know before, so I can simply go back to my recent state of mind to see things as an outsider (I didn't know that there was ever hot food like chicken wings at the salad bar area, I didn't know that there was ever any fruit besides apples, oranges, and bananas).

Projecting my memory back further, I can remember a lot of awkward things about my first few experiences at Mojo--swiping my card the wrong way every day, not knowing that the servers don't typically set the plate right on your tray, not having the restraint to not get everything you see because you don't realize how many options there are, etc.

I guess it is kind of hard to define what exactly it will be that an outsider observes. Because if you're an outsider, you're more likely to notice the details of things than if you know people, because if you know people, you'll be talking and paying less attention. I'm going to have to find a better way to define this in my mind before I get cracking for real.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's really interesting that you mentioned still feeling like an outsider at Mojo, despite living near it for several months now. This will probably make for an interesting essay because there's enough going on there, from the nonsensical location of chicken wings to the huge amounts of people pouring through the doors, that someone who goes there daily feels like an outsider. I'd recommend listening to some of the conversations going on at tables around you, while you're there. You'd definitely be able to find something to write about.

    ReplyDelete