Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Saturday, February 6, 2010

UMMA

For my second paper, I chose to write about UM's Art Museum. I chose it because I visit often and feel a connection to the place. However, this has become problematic because I am having a hard time separating myself from the place and viewing it as an outsider. When I observed, the museum was fairly empty---there were only a few older couples, the guards, and the students working at the front desk. I started writing, but I am having a hard time finding some direction for the paper. I began writing about the crowd in the museum and its sterile-looking interior. I thought I could explore the crowd that comes into the museum and their motives for being there---what pieces or artists attract them/if they come often or are visiting for the first time/if they are students or not students, etc. I don’t think satire will be a huge problem for me in this paper, there isn’t much to satirize about an art museum. Basically, I think my problem is mainly lack of direction in the paper.  

1 comment:

  1. You can try to make the paper more specific like talking about a specific spot in the museum or talking about a specific type of person. This way, your paper won't be all over the place. Also, you could probably write about your very first time visiting the museum because then you really were an outsider!

    ReplyDelete