Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The aftermath of St. Patty's

When i woke up today, March 18th, to this gorgeous day i though St. Patrick's day was over... though from what i saw today, it doesn't seem that way. I still saw a handful of people dressed from head to toe in green. One of these people was an elderly lady who looked like she worked in an office. Another was a student, who had a fake shamrock tattoo on her shoulder, perhaps showing off her muscles. She was also wearing green eye shadow.... I think she was just a day late in realizing it was St. Patrick's Day. Lastly, after classes today, i went to Pancheros on South U, and when i asked for a burrito, they threw a green tortilla on the plate! I thought that was really exciting, in fact all these encounters were really exciting. How a secretary pulled off a fully green outfit, and still looked professional, that's beyond me... Also, to be the sole girl in my lecture to go all out in tattoos, green ribbons, and green eye shadow for god sakes, takes boldness (especially if it's the day after St. Patrick's day)!

I am not really sure what to take from the leprechaun secretary, or the green tortillas, other than that this has really become a national holiday allowing everyone, from all walks of life, to celebrate one way or another. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact, reiterating what Brad and Natalie said, it unifies a community when everyone is wearing green, or wear shirts that say, "Kiss me im Irish" or "Im not Irish, but kiss me anyways". I found it kind of odd that most of the girls i saw around campus were trying to put on that "cute-look-at-me-im-wearing-a-four-leave-clover-sticker-on-my-cheek" look... but i guess some enjoy dressing up that way.  Anyways, i think it's a great day, because everyone is so enthusiastic and happy to celebrate St Patricks Day which can be celebrated by wearing ridiculously green make-up, or by dying tortillas, it's all fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment