Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Pattys

I woke up at 9am on St. Patty's morning to booming rap beats emanating from the various frat houses down State Street. Jay-Z's "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" blasted outside as I threw on clothes, grabbed my backpack, and begrudgingly headed out the door for class. As I walked to my bus stop near the IM building, clusters of kids were already outside on their balconies, drinking green beer and heckling passersby who weren't wearing green. I had obligations all day, so I was jealous of those who took the day off to celebrate. My second class was probably the most interesting event of the day. The class started at 1:30 and I had a presentation to give. Only half the class showed up, and many of those who were there were fairly drunk. A couple of girls in the class (who are in the same sorority) had on shot glass necklaces, which might have been slightly inappropriate for class. I didn't get to celebrate St. Patty's day until later because I had to work till 9pm. That night, I went to a friend's house party, which was the same as all house parties, except with a color theme. St. Patty's Day on a college campus seems to lose most cultural, religious and political meaning. However, it is a celebration of warmer weather and approaching summer. Like everyone else said, there was a definite sense of unity and vitality on campus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment