Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Playing Culture

In class, we were talking about who actually get's to celebrate St. Patricks Day. Though the answer seems to be everybody and anybody who is able to get their hands on a can (or even a keg of beg) of beer. After class, as I was walking to my next class, two gentlemen were having a very intriguing conversation:
"what the fuck is a saint's patrick's day?"
"I think its about religion and God"
"so why the fuck do we drink?"
"I think St. Patrick created beer or something"
"That does not make sense, man, I think its for the Irish Immigrants"
"My family is not Irish, we celebrate every year"
"Yeah, I know what you mean, shit, we're Polish"

This conversation intrigued me because it seemed that no one is quite sure what St. Patty's day is for or who is St. Patrick. Both of the guys admitted not being Irish but their families have continued to celebrate the day.
Earlier on St. Patricks day I posted a facebook status saying "I'm about to celebrate the .00012 percent me that is Irish". I can factually say that I am fully African-American and I do not have a trait of Irish blood in me. My ancestors came from the west of Africa and dwelt their almost a century before the slave trade ever happened. I felt that I needed to claim Irish lineage to celebrate in the Irish festive. Someone commented on my status saying: "Everyone is Irish on March 17". Again, this is someone else saying that one need not to be Irish to celebrate. Two of my residents commented that they are "Irewish"(combining Jewish and Irish) every March 17. Everywhere I went over the city, people of different backgrounds, and no affiliation to Irish lineage were celebrating a holiday that they did not understand, but only a holiday that meant wear green, drink green(beer).
Later on th same day, I spoke to someone who claimed to be nearly full Irish. He did not have on a green shirt or dressed like a Leprechaun. He did not wear beads or even looked as if he was going to go out. I asked him where was his green shirt or his beads. He answered back saying: I'm Irish all year around. And he continued: Being Irish is something that you live, daily.

Now, in retrospect, it seems that what America calls St. Patricks day, has been Americanize to fit their picture of what Ireland is. All the drinking, and customs, and all other matter. St. Patty day does not mean being Irish, but in America it seems to mean playing culture. It is what we do to holidays that are not of America, and transform it into what we believe that culture is.

No comments:

Post a Comment