Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Patty's Extravaganza

My St. Patrick's Day began at approximately 8:45am on my walk to my 9am discussion section. Unfortunately, I had class until 4pm, including and exam at 12 and then another exam to study for, so I wasn't able to enjoy the festivities. I walked down state street around 1pm and saw the insanity that is Greek life and I witnessed the college version of the "pinch" you get when not wearing green. Green Beer poured over thee head. Enough said. I was just glad it was not me.


Seeing this insanity so early in the morning I do find it funny that any other day it would be nearly impossible to get thousands of college students out of bed before 8am, but for some reason the green beer, crazy green costumes, and the idea of drinking all day is something of a wake up call. Some people say the crazy partying was because of the weather, however, I don't really think a rainy day would've stopped the majority of these celebrations from occurring.

The reason's for celebrating St. Patrick's Day are unknown to me, but I did know that it was a pretty important holiday to celebrate at college before coming here. At home we had dinner at Grandma's house the Sunday before and we ate Corned-beef and cabbage which was not my favorite meal, but seemed to be a favorite of many of my relatives. I never really understood that tradition either, I think it is some sort of Irish meal. Anyways, for me college St. Patrick's Day celebrations are much different than those at home. I guess it could just be another excuse to party?

No comments:

Post a Comment