Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Pattys Day

I definitely agree with Brand and Natalie that St. Patrick's Day has created as revitalization of our campus community that we have not seen since the football games. Something about walking up early and drinking just brings this campus together I guess. I did not partake in the St. Patty's day festivities during the day due to a large amount of homework but I did go out at night. After drinking quite a bit of Guinness in my friends dorm in Oxford, we headed over to my friend's fraternity ZBT. Surprisingly the party was relatively low key (for a ZBT party) and not that many people were dancing. I think the main reason why no one was dancing was because they were so worn out from a day of drinking that they just couldn't exert themselves anymore. There something to be sad about the emphasis on drinking endurance on St. patty's day that is not present in any other holiday. For instance, no one starts drinking at 8 am on christmas day. But on St. patty's day we start partying on the weekend prior to St. patty's during to "practice" or as other call it "St. Practice Day." I even saw an event invitation on facebook for the day after St. Patty's titled, "Continue your Irish Festivities." What I would like to know is why do we drink so much over such long periods of time on St. Patrick's Day. Yes, the Irish are notorious for their drinking but I think even the most seasoned Irish drinkers don't wake up at 8 am and start drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment