Jack B. Yeats, "Queen Maeve Walked Upon This Strand"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

St Party's Day

Yesterday, St Patrick's day, I had four classes and a test so I was unable to engage in the celebratory festivities. However, with walking to and from campus, I got to see what everyone was up to. In all honesty, at first I really silently condemned St Patrick's celebrations here-to me, it really seemed like a ridiculous excuse for non-Irish students to get drunk on a weekday. However, my observations surprised me. I dont know if it was the warm weather or the holiday, but people were playing frizbee, laying out, and just all around having a good time. It really did give me a great feeling of camaraderie with the other students, even if I wasn't engaging in the fun. I feel like with the cold weather we students lose our greater sense of community, and yesterday I feel I regained mine. Maybe THAT'S what St. Patrick's day is about...but who really knows, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment